Friday, October 21, 2005

sell-out?

"From: [New Mexico]
Sent:
Tuesday, October 12, 2005 2:14 PM

To: Frank@docdel.com
Subject: So
you're an...Entrepreneur?


I wonder how much money you rake in from those
exhibits. If you took people's secrets as seriously as you claim to, surely
you'd donate your profits to anti-suicide charities, rape abuse centers and the
like...I can't help but pose a query as to the exploitation of others' guilt for
your own financial gain. -New Mexico"

www.postsecret.com

So what I really want to know is... why is it a crime for someone to reap
financial rewards from their art? I don't at all consider the exhibits to be an exploitation of others' guilt. It is not as if the site is presented as anything other than an "art project" and art typically goes into exhibits. I think it is a very nice piece and the contributors willingly contribute their posts for the presented purpose.

But this actually brings an interesting point to my mind. Whenever a not-so-well known artist (especially in music and film) becomes well known and therefore starts to make a sizable profit, he or she becomes a "sell-out"... what does that mean, exactly? I mean, of course, I would be lieing to say it doesn't make me a tad jealous that my talents will not make me millions despite my hard work, but good for the person who can make a lot of money for their talents. I don't think that makes them a sell-out. People who claim as such are jealous and dumb.

No comments: