Monday, September 26, 2005

Socks today, gone tomorrow

I learned today that it is the socks that make the man. I woke up this morning bright and early, good little worker bee that I am. I needed to head in to the office a bit early to put the finishing touches on a market analysis for a legal client, before my boss's 11am meeting.

Noticing that Rita's last gasp was coming down all around me, I scoured my room for my umbrella, and then the rest of the house. But I came up short, and headed upstairs to wash off the weekend grime and consider my options. After brushing, shaving, and some steamy musings in the tub, I came up with three options and decided on the last.

1. Wake up Urg or Grak and ask if they have an extra umbrella.
2. Take the one in the hall closet and deny, deny, deny if it doesn't belong to the absent roommate.
3. Bingo! Pack a bag and change at the office.

Choosing the charitable option, I packed up and headed off.

Shoes, pants, shirt, jacket, tie, papers, bus fare. Check check check check check check.

Wait! Andrew very confused in morning. Time for inventory.

Shoes, pants, shirt, jacket, tie, papers, bus fare. Check check check check check check. What if boxers get wet on the way? Boxers. Check.

And so I arrived at work, and after changing, I realized when it comes to mind over morning, morning always wins.

Hiding my bare ankles all day until I could buy some socks at lunch, and wearing my jacket to hide the void in my belt loops, I also learned another lesson today.

Don't tell Russell about your sockless feet if you don't want others to know.

1 comment:

Write Your Wrong said...

...my hero...