Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Oracle

Since I spend a lot of my day Googling, it's important to know how to
use the tool right. Four things I have found out:

1) Your query can read "Source: Arrivenet.com RosettaNet" and Google
will search only that listed site.

2) Your query can read "Define: EDI" and Google will find you
definitions. This is very useful for looking up lingo, jargon, etc,
and you might as well throw away all your dictionaries on top of that.
You check one dictionary, I'll check 1000.

Note I used quotes above only to set off my queries. You normally
wouldn't use quotes on Google unless you were looking for an exact
phrase. Which brings me to my third tip, in which you would actually
use the quotes as I have typed.

3) Your query can read "+The Beatles" Google will normally ignore
words like The, A, Is, etc. But you can force it if you think this
will make your search more accurate by using a + sign.

4) And finally when searching for something, put yourself in the
poster of the information's shoes. Like when I was searching for
information on hotels, I searched for "Hilton downtown Pittsburgh
amenities." I localized by using "downtown Pittsburgh" and my topic
was "Hilton" and the word "amenities" is hotel jargon. Of course, I'm
no hotel expert, but I was able to optimize my search by looking at
the webpages for lingo when I searched first for "downtown Pittsburgh
Hilton."

I also use Google maps, Google images, Google email, Google shopping
service, and Google news, and I'd take a Google job, but that isn't in
the cards right now.

You know people actually advertise for expert Googlers in job posts
now? And I think that's pretty smart.

Google frequently and with passion. [That's a call to action, by the
way, an imperative statement]

Who knows more about a topic? He who knows how to query the oracle best.

2 comments:

anony1337 said...

But it seems that just searching for "pittsburgh hilton" yields the same result as the +amenities +downtown query.

Write Your Wrong said...

i just recently realized if you put a phone number in google, and it is a listed number, it will pop up with that number, the address, and the name of the person that the number belongs to. it was AWESOME. the days of never knowing who that random number in the bottom of the drawer belongs to are over.