Saturday, February 12, 2005

Tonight I make the sauce

The sauce is good for many things, it is a kitchen catalyst. If you have a bucket of sauce, you can make eggplant parm, pasta, kick a dash into your frittata for taste, or just make a pizza. I am excited to try out the new wooden peal I got from Penn Mac, which will finally allow me to make thin crispy pies on my pizza stone.

I had a really excellent dish at La Strada yesterday which got me in the mood to do some Italian cook. Celanie and I shared an appetizer that consisted of eggplant serving as the shell of a manicotti, which was stuffed with goat cheese and fresh basil and smothered with sauce.

Truly superb. I'm going to make it myself.

2 comments:

Celanie Polanick said...

Something else to try, which we did last night and loved: add whole mushrooms to the sauce as it's cooking. They add flavor and dimension to the sauce, and make an excellent vegetarian substitute for meatballs.

FishingRodLady said...

Am I going to get some of this fantastic sauce with the meatball mushrooms? But no pasta...how about spaghetti squash?